About Dr. Tawny Kross: She is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and a Pain Specialist, having nearly a decade of experience at a Veteran’s hospital in North Carolina working with patients that have some of the most complex chronic pain cases.
She is a firm believer in people’s innate ability to heal and recover from chronic pain. She helps them in deepening their understanding of themselves, their bodies, their pain, and their values, and then uses that understanding to overcome their pain and guide them back to LIVING their life.
In this episode, Adam and Dr. Tawny discuss:
- The truth about injuries and pain
- The pain-stress connection
- The best ways to cope with pain
- How Dr. Tawny helps her clients get back on track
- Having broken tissues or serious injuries without feeling any pain or symptoms makes it ideal to pursue surgical healing, but if it fails, a holistic approach is a better alternative.
- A wound, no matter how healed, will still manifest pain, and stress and anxiety are caused by actual pain, as well as the inability to escape or deal with it.
- If you want to avoid not moving at all for the rest of your life, then eventually, you have to learn how to become familiar with gently moving into it. Moving your body, along with teaching your brain that it is perfectly fine, and having a clear vision of your goals is progress, is healing.
- Focus on mindfulness through meditation, breathing relaxation techniques, and looking at things holistically. Trust the process and you’ll be on your way to recovery.
“Just starting to identify what sort of things around you, like if you’re stressed out look around you, find what things that make you feel safe and make you feel connected because it’s that connection point that I think allows you to start to feel less stress.” — Dr. Tawny Kross
Connect with Dr. Tawny Kross